[time-nuts] HP 5065A control

jim_johnson at agilent.com jim_johnson at agilent.com
Wed Nov 3 19:28:37 EST 2004

Hi Bill,

   I checked with one of my "gurus", with email
out to another, and what was suggested is that
there is a chance that the standard could "lock
to the wrong line", a reference to the operation
of the internal physics package.  This might be
what you're seeing with the unstable second harmonic
reading.  Also, a rapid change of the "C-field"
adjustment, as it's called, can result in a very long
relaxation time due to the three layers of magnetic
shielding in the unit.  Trying to servo that could
be quite challenging since it make take "days" to
recover to full specification from a rapid change
in the mag field setting.  That would result in a
very long-time-constant servo loop.  If I get more
information on this, I'll post it.

Jim Johnson
Agilent Laboratories
Palo Alto, CA