[time-nuts] Gravity & Crystal Oscillator Calibration

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sun Sep 5 05:28:57 EDT 2004

> The 5071A cesium standard is so accurate that you can see
> relativistic effects (in frequency) between HP in Santa Clara, CA near sea
> level and NIST in Boulder, CO at 5000(?) ft.

Right, the general relativistic effect is on the order of
1e-16 per meter. Doug Hogarth (http://www.niceties.com)
and I (http://www.LeapSecond.com) live about half an
hour from each other and have traded hi-perf 5071A's
in the past. Doug's elevation is about 300 ft and mine
about 1000 ft so the 200 meter difference comes to
about 2e-14 frequency difference. We've seen and
expected this when we compare our data. Sorry I
don't have precise plots to present, but our clocks
definitely run at different rates.

/tvb