[time-nuts] GPS Leap Second

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Aug 5 10:56:51 EDT 2005

Tom Van Baak wrote:

>While I get to preview UTC New Years or leap
>seconds at 4 PM PST here in Seattle (UTC-8),
>there's a billion people in China (UTC+8) that
>have to wait until 8 AM on Jan 1.

Slightly off-topic, but this brings back memories of Y2K.  I was on our
company's SWAT team ("There's a software bug!  Quick, call the
lawyers!") and spent 24 hours in our command center ringing in the new
year around the world.  The first big test was when New Zealand turned
over, and we had a guy standing in front of an ATM to do a test
transaction ASAP.  Fortunately, it worked. :-)

The other notable event of the evening was a report that we had more
than the usual number of service calls in Australia, but the reason was
more than the usual number of drunks vandalizing the machines!

John

PS -- How many of us will have webcams on our radio clocks to watch the
leapsecond?  I'll have on on my Spectracom WWVB receiver (the only one I
have that has a direct digital readout).