[time-nuts] Synchronisation using GPS

Shaun Doughty s.doughty at ee.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 9 06:03:20 EDT 2005

Thanks, the VLBI stuff looks pretty relevant and interesting, and I notice
that CNS managed to get an accuracy of a few nanoseconds between receivers
with the M12+'s that Tom mentioned at a 21.5km baseline, which is
encouraging too.

Within the radar network itself we are only really concerned about relative
synchronisation between several sites, but this doesn't seem to be something
that is reported on the majority of receiver data sheets - generally I guess
it's just accuracy to UTC reported, so any information on relative
synchronisation like the CNS tests is pretty useful for deciding whether GPS
is a good idea to replace the current wired system being used as we move to
slightly longer baselengths, and which receiver might be most suitable.

Shaun