[time-nuts] Power lines and time

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Aug 22 15:44:29 EDT 2005

In message <003c01c5a74d$b95c9520$0500a8c0 at darius.domain.actdsltmp>, "Bill Hawkins" writes
:

>">1. It is unlikely that any power network just lets itself go,
>>with no standard time/frequency to hold. The under-frequency
>>relays would make that hazardous.
>
>Does not follow."
>
>Well, it doesn't follow from the watt-hour meter, but look at
>the larger network picture.

I didn't say it was not true, I only said it didn't follow from
your argument about the power-meter :-)

The specs for the Nordpool area sets some specific frequency bands,
voltage bands and time constants for which regulation regime applies.

The result is that the frequency is generally a tad on the low side,
but well inside the tolerance, because nobody sees it as their job
(and expense) to keep the average at 50Hz.