[time-nuts] Looking for 468-DC GOES receiver info

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Fri Feb 18 05:26:14 EST 2005

> If I could find some information on the details of the Manchester-coded
> 100bps stream, I could read it myself with an oscilloscope from the
> 486-DC test points I've already found and get a very low-level answer
> on the time code status.

Kevin,

I can scan a couple of pages or ship you a spare
copy of the whole 468-DC manual. Meanwhile,

Manchester code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_code

Here are some NIST papers on GOES time format
and receiver design:

  Satellite controlled digital clock system
  http://www.leapsecond.com/patent/US4014166.pdf

  Satellite controlled clock
  http://www.leapsecond.com/patent/US4287597.pdf

  NBS Time Via Satellites
  http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/420.pdf

  NBS Time to the Western Hemisphere by Satellite
  http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/473.pdf

  Time From NBS By Satellite
  http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/488.pdf

Attached are two traces of three 468-DC test points
of interest:
ch1 = TP3 (raw Manchester code from the satellite)
ch2 = TP4 (output of data integrator)
ch3 = TP5 (100 Hz sample clock).

/tvb