[time-nuts] FTS4060/S24 Location of E26 Test Point & Confirm Operation?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Jan 6 17:06:57 EST 2005

Hi:

For the last few days I have been working on my FTS4060/S24 s/n 1013.  This is the unit that arrived metal banded to a shipping pallet sitting on top of it's well padded box.  Since the control voltage is continuously ramping I followed Appendix A in the operation manual and adjusted the Loop Gain and Control Voltage using the front panel switches and now the Green Lock LED is on.

Now for the questions:

(1) Fig 2-5B shows the R5 pot that should be adjusted until the voltage between E23 (ground) and E26 (test point) is 1.8 +/- 0.2 Volts.  I can find E23 on my /S24 unit but not E26.  Does anyone know where E26 is located?

(2) I'm trying to come up with some way to see if it's really working.  I have a SR620 Time Interval counter using the 10 MHz output output from the SR PRS10 as it's reference.  I have the 1 PPS from the PRS10 connected to the A input and the 1 MHz output from the 4060 connected to the B input.  The counter is set for TI mode trigger on B and average 10 readings.  The idea is that the rising

The display shows .9936202, .993630, .993601 i.e. there is some change at the 10 micro second digit, this seems to be wrong, maybe there should be change at the 10 ns digit.  What am I doing wrong?

Measuring the FTS4060 frequency gives: 9,999,999.99278, .99368, .99239 i.e. a jitter Allan variance of about 12 milli Hz or parts in 10^10 or not as good as I would hope.

Any ideas on how to confirm proper operation?

73,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
--
w/Java http://www.PRC68.com