[time-nuts] Zeeman Audio Source?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Jan 12 17:09:02 EST 2005

Hi:

I tried to use my HP 204B audio source for the Zeeman test, but although it puts out over 5 volts RMS into an open circuit, the voltage across the 50 Ohm FTS4060 Zeeman input is only 0.33 Volts, not the 1 Volt needed.  Can someone recommend an audio generator, hopefully available for a reasonable price somewhere?

The HP manual says the frequency should be 42.82 kHz for zero offset.  There is a table listing a number of other frequencies that give different offsets.  This was back in the days when a second got a new definition each year, hence the different offsets, but today zero offset is the standard.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE
--
w/Java http://www.PRC68.com