[time-nuts] Zeeman effect and tuning cesium clocks

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat Jan 22 19:18:45 EST 2005

The discussion of cesium (or Caesium) beam clocks has shaken
my feeling that there had to be an absolute clock in physics
somewhere. I guess that's why NIST at Boulder is still coming
up with new oscillators.

Searching Google for the elusive Zeeman produced this link to
a 1976 paper by D.C. Kaufmann:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1976STIN...7625444K&
amp;db_key=INST

(Copy the rest of the link and paste it to the first part in
 your browser if your mail program split the link line.)

The title is, "Demonstration of the frequency offset errors
introduced by an incorrect setting of the Zeeman/magnetic
field adjustment on the cesium beam frequency standard"

The Journal is Unknown. There is no clue as to how to retrieve
the article.

Now I'm wondering how they ever got two portable cesium beam
clocks of the seventies to show relativistic affects when their
accuracy depends on external magnetic fields.

What does Boulder use for secondary standards to transfer the
frequency of the near-perfect oscillator to Fort Collins?

Maybe I should go back to looking for the perfect pendulum, but
I fear gravity will prove to be inconstant.

Regards,
Bill Hawkins