[time-nuts] Programming of 5370B

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 06:49:23 EDT 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>Given my SPARC processor is Big Endian, whereas the Intel format CPU in
>>Poul Henning Kamp's PC is Little Endian, it is perhaps surprising the
>>binary data could be read properly on my SPARC.
>

> No, it's defined as a byte-stream, and my code treats it as such,
> so it should be sound on any byte-order.

That's good to hear and you now have confirmation, it does indeed work on a machine with a different
byte order. Much software reading binary data does not.

Perhaps I'll compile it in 64-bit mode and let you know if its OK there, just in case anyone asks
about whether your HP5370B code works on 64-bit machines. I think there are Solaris 64-bit drivers,
and I guess it is possible the program would work quicker that way, although there is generally
nothing to be gained in compiling for 64-bit on my 64-bit processor. 32-bit programs often work faster
- smaller pointers, less memory usage.

I can't check your Open (sorry Free) BSD driver for the HPIB, but I guess you know that would not work.

>>PS,
>>you may be aware I had some difficulty locating the Solaris drivers for
>>the GPIB board (National Instruments want more for them than I paid for
>>the GPIB board and the HP53270B put together!!) Converted to $US, the
>>drivers are around $750 or so.
>

> I told you a FreeBSD PC would be cheaper :-)

Not true, as I got the drivers free (legally).  A PC would have cost me at least £0.00 (for an old
one) and the electricity something, so given my SPARC runs 24/7, the PC route would have been more
expensive.

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE,
Senior Research Fellow,