[time-nuts] glossa7 being whiney on eBay...

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Jun 16 06:36:47 EDT 2005

John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Brian Kirby wrote:
>
>> I seen the ad's on E-bay yesterday.
>>
>> Since I had dealings with him, and made comments to this group about
>> the dealings, and the fact another person had the same dealings, I
>> stand byside what I said.
>>
>> Our post show up in a lot of search engines - Something to consider
>> before you comment.  Probally from the stored archives.
>>
>> Brian - N4FMN
>

> I *think* (but am not certain without a little research) that I can
> structure the list archives to be private and accessible only to
> subscribed members.  I know that Mailman allows private archives for
> private lists, but I'm not sure if a publicly visible list can have a
> private archive.
>
> If there's a consensus to do that, I'll see what I can do.
>
> John

John,

Also be aware that you will probably not be able to stop people viewing
posts written in the last year or two - even if you shut down the
mailing list and destroyed the hard disk the archives are on.

Type the following line into Google:

g8wrb davek site:www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk

and you will find links to pages I wrote, both of which are broken,
since the pages have long since gone.

But Google still has the full content in its cache, so if you click the
"Cached" links on the Google results page, you will find what I wrote,
despite the fact Google last retrieved that content in March 2004.

Hence if you make the lists private today, things written in the last
year or more may still be searchable on Google.

I don't know exactly how long Google keeps a cache, but I found two of
my own examples that are more than a year old, without much effort at all.

So next time you find a broken link that looked interesting, click the
cached page - you will often find the contents (minus any pictures) are
still there.

It used to be possible to remove broken links from Google, but the
facility has been removed as far as I am aware.

I'm not sure if excluding Google from indexing areas of a site with a
robots.txt file would cause it to remove its cached entries when it next
tries to spider the site - it may well do.

Personally hope you don't make the archives private, since I think it
will be a loss. But you obviously have a mix of opinions on this matter.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/