[time-nuts] Z3801A good GPS-receiver

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Jun 27 14:36:35 EDT 2005

From: John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Z3801A good GPS-receiver
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:42:27 -0400

> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>
> > Yes, I've noticed all the links, software and all that. Being a *nix guy I
> > naturally care to have the source and control.
>
> You're welcome to my Perl stuff -- not sure if I have it on my website
> under http://www.febo.com/time-freq/gps (look for the Z3801A link) but
> if you don't see it, drop me a line and I'll get it for you.

I think I actually looked at the code the other night. ;O)

> > One of the things I have failed to find is the type of GPS receiver operation
> > in action. I assume that it is a C/A signal (it only says L1), but does it use
> > HPs brilliant solution to track both carrier and code variations to make
> > compensations similar to the L1/L2 P(Y) code-less tracking? I think I have
> > the article around here somewhere. It is not a carrier-phase type of receiver
> > as I have gathered it. Right?
>
> The receiver is the old 6 channel Motorola Oncore, using standard L1 C/A
> signal.

The thing is, in the article "Recovering UTC(USNO,MC) with increased accuracy
using a fixed L1-CA code, GPS receiver" by R.P. Giffard, Agilent Lab PTTI-32
(page 97 in the compendium), they apply it on a Motorola Oncore. But then I did
not recall the date, and the PTTI-32 was in 2000 which is too late for the
Z3801A I guess. Interesting article, but it was some time I read it myself.

Cheers,
Magnus