[time-nuts] How close can you trim a Cs?

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Wed Mar 9 16:43:22 EST 2005

Hi John,

Good news that you get to 1e-12. A trouble-free
5061A in a home environment should be able to
do that. But it will in fact be challenging getting
down to the low 13's. A couple of thoughts:

1) When you talk about stability you always have
to mention or imply the tau. Are you looking for
stability in low 13's over an hour, a day, a week?

2) There is some magnetic hysteresis on the C-field
adjustment that you have to live with, especially if
you are tweaking by only a few minor divisions.

My hunch is a small, one-way, adjustment of a few
minor divisions would nicely show up in your data
with a week of averaging before, and after, the event.

Also I assume you have a newer 5061A with 5e-14
per minor division, not the older ones with 1e-12?

3) There's a lesson from the timing labs - they do
not typically adjust their C-fields at all. Instead they
adjust phase or frequency using *external* phase
micro-steppers or simply by *post-processing* the
raw phase data from their counters.

I can expand on this more if you want.

Another example is the 5071A where the 1 PPS
and 5 MHz outputs are generated by a DDS and
the user can type in a phase or frequency offset;
the C-field is not used as a way to make frequency
changes.

4) If you look at the 5061A manual, the noise floor
for a standard tube is in the mid 13's so that puts a
lower bound on what to expect. Also, you're using
a standard GPS receiver as your reference so you
need to factor in its performance. You can easily
get 1e-12 frequency stability with GPS over a day
but if you're looking for 1e-13 then run times of a
week or more might be more appropriate.

Try reducing your GPS data to one point per day.
Yes, I know that sounds funny and will require a
lot of patience, but the data you then get for your
5061A vs. GPS will be more revealing.

Also, I would not worry about your counter. True,
that at 20 ps, a HP 5370 or SR 620 is 100x better
than a HP 5334. But most of that 20 ps is wasted
when GPS is one of the channels. So your counter
and your reference (GPS) are well matched.

/tvb