[time-nuts] Re: Phase microsteppers

Carl Walker wa1raj at arrl.net
Thu Mar 10 17:31:37 EST 2005

Hi Brooke:

The micro-steppers in question used for LORAN timing were indeed the
2055A units, if memory serves. I don't believe they supported 10 MHz,
but I didn't really pay much attention since the LORAN timers only used the
5 MHz output of the Cs standards for all requirements.

A 1 nS step size wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish in a home-brew
unit.
Finer resolution would be nice as you suggest, and is worth considering.
Phase
step insertion could easily be made programmable with a minimal processor,
and that's what I was thinking about implementing. I'd rather write code and
control the unit via serial port than cut a big square hole in the front
panel for
thumb-wheel switches ;-)

I'm going to have to consider going further with the design effort for
one of these,
as I believe it would be a useful addition to the tool kit here. If I
could find one
commercially (at surplus prices) I'd rather go that route, but judging
by what I've
seen out there and what others have said I don't think there are too
many of them
circulating on the market. Googling doesn't turn up much, either.

-Carl, WA1RAJ