[time-nuts] Anyone want a pdf of the HP 5370B manual ?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed May 4 19:14:25 EDT 2005

> > That counter went through no fewer than 18 documented revisions,
> > and this manual is the only one I've seen that's late enough to
> address them
> > all.  I now own 3 different manuals for it.
>
> How many counters do you own?

Besides a 5370B and 5345A, I guess you could 'count' the one built into the
Tek 492AP analyzer.  All three are reflocked to a Trimble Thunderbolt.

Tek didn't officially offer signal-counting capability in the 492AP, but a
ROM upgrade and a few minutes alone with the front panel and a Dremel tool
took care of that little hangup.

My counter 'collection' is undoubtedly among the most humble on this list,
though, and I seldom use the 5370B for anything other than calibrating OCXOs
and the like.  The 492AP's counter is more convenient for most purposes,
because it inherits the dynamic range and frequency coverage of the (DC-21
GHz) spectrum analyzer hardware.

Then there's my classic Radio Shack 22-305 handheld, which was one of those
cases where Radio Shack screwed up and actually sold something good.  Years
after they went out of production, they still sell on eBay for close to
their original $79.95 price.

> But ManualsPlus did not have one to cover the S/N of my instrument, so
> this seemed the sensible option.
>
> The Bama site said they will host a copy, but not at 500MB.

I wonder if Rick Karlquist could put you in touch with the Agilent people to
whom he donated the manuals that he mentioned awhile back.  They might be
able to use the contribution for their own public archive.

-- john KE5FX