[time-nuts] Question concerning failure and value of HP 5371A

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Fri Oct 14 18:21:38 EDT 2005

Hello everybody,
my name is Arnold, located in southern Germany, and I am quite new
joining this very interesting group - I got as well the fever of precise timing,
reading all you comments lot of months back - and learning a lot from all
your knowledge and experiences.

I am collecting already some nice counters and oscillators, OCXOs and
Rb-types. My target is to build a very stable and precise frequency standard
applying gps.

Now I have the possibility to get (perhaps) a time interval counter
hp 5371A in very nice condition, but with a small black point:
When switching on it indicates:
 " Instrument setup lost, Reset to default, Saved Configurations lost.
Press any key to continue".
Is that a severe problem?
Is such equipment a 'must' for serious working?
What is about the value for such a device, more than 600, 1000 ore
more $ ?

Thank you at the moment in advance,
I am sure that I will have to ask you in future more questions, if
allowed.

Best regards from the Lake Constance,

Arnold, DK2WT