[time-nuts] Off the wall: anyone with experience programmingHP3456A?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Sep 10 15:16:43 EDT 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>In message <4323228B.7040401 at febo.com>, John Ackermann N8UR writes:
>

>>In theory, the bus is supposed
>>to handshake to avoid that problem, but that's not always reliable on
>>the older instruments -- they will report that they're ready for another
>>command when in fact they aren't.  In fact, while doing this experiment
>>the 5370B would show "Err 1" (invalid command) on its display if I tried
>>to talk to the 3456A too soon after talking to the 5370.
>>

>Are you 100% sure this is a problem on the 5370B ?

Nope.  It might be in the 3456A, particularly now that I know the 3456A
has a memory problem.  But I have seen the timing issue show up in other
ways, for example if I do a write to the 5370B and then an immediate
read, sometimes the read fails.  inserting (IIRC) 500uS of delay after
the write caused that problem to go away.

John