[time-nuts] WWV/WWVH reception conditions

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sat Sep 10 15:26:05 EDT 2005

For those who like to keep tabs on WWV and WWVH (note, this is not WWVB!)
reception conditions on the East Coast, I have been maintaining

  http://www.trailing-edge.com/~shoppa/wwv/

for the past couple of years.  This charts the usability (roughly measured
as the (S+N)/N of the per-minute beep and then converted to a 0-100
scale) of WWV and WWVH (their per-minute beeps are different audio
frequencies so I can distinguish between the two).

Measurements are made on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz on a round-robin
basis.

This is a byproduct of NTP's WWV audio refclock logging files.

In the evenings, 2.5 MHz and 5 MHz have been coming in fairly clearly
several times in the past week from local midnight to local morning
or so.  When propogation is open on those frequencies I also pick
up the Venezuala time/frequency standard station YVTO.

YVTO's time pulses seem to be about a half-second out of phase when
I hear it.  Is it possible that it's ticking to UT1, and not UTC?
Last time I scoped them the difference was about 0.45 seconds.

There's also a Chinese station on 5 MHz according to some charts
but I don't think I've ever heard it.

Tim.