[time-nuts] Interfacing a 8dBm sine output of an OCXO to a digital logic standard

Stephan Sandenbergh stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za
Fri Sep 16 06:49:00 EDT 2005

I wondered if anyone could help me with an interfacing problem? I guess
that it is a trivial question to those that know, but I am rather
puzzled by it.

My very stable OCXO output a 8dBm (50ohm) sine wave. How is this signal
converted/interfaced to a logic standard (e.g. LVDS)? I can imagine that
the sine wave must be squared off using a fast comparator and then fed
through to a logic driver. Are there any integrated IC's out there that
does this? It would be rather sad to sustain substantial phase noise
degradation due to a floating comparator threshold and limited slew
rate.

Regards,

Stephan Sandenbergh