[time-nuts] Interfacing a 8dBm sine output of an OCXO to adigital logic standard

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Fri Sep 16 12:25:53 EDT 2005

David Kirkby wrote:
> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> In message <MGEKKFGEAIKJOOPJPGIKCEAMFMAA.richard at karlquist.com>,

>>> This chip has 200 ps of jitter!  There is no way you would
>>> want to use this with an OCXO.
>>

>> Be aware they don't mean the same with "jitter" as you do: they
>> include production tolerances, so the 200ps is the worst case jitter
>> measured between two output pins on a large lot of chips, not the
>> jitter you would measure on a single output on a single chip.
>>

> What you are describing sounds more like the 700ps "Device to Device Skew".

I used one of those chips about 5 years ago on a CPU board, and it did
have about 100ps of jitter. It was horrible as a clock source. I think
it was suffering a bit from being on a CPU board, though, with all the
digital switching noise around it.

Later versions were better, but still not very good by analog PLL
standards.