[time-nuts] Fw: HP 105 powersupply problems

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Apr 4 01:27:53 EDT 2006

In message <002901c6578c$9d928120$0e8fae43 at hsd1.in.comcast.net>, "Richard and M
arcia Putz" writes:

>I had similar problems with my HP105, not bad transistors, check
>out the filter capacitors. Electrolytics in any equipment past 15-20
>years of age could be suspect. I'd look there first.

In general when powering up equipment that has been turned of for
years:  Use a variac and ram the voltage up slowly over a couple of
days.

Electrolytics can loose their polarisation over time and if exposed
to full voltage they are likely to splatter all over the place, but
if you give them a slow start they will most often recover their
polarisation and work fine.