[time-nuts] GPS Antenna (50ohm) and Satelite Splitters and Amps(75ohm)

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Apr 16 20:39:21 EDT 2006

Hi Don --

I know of several folks who've used the satellite stuff with pretty good
results, so I'd give it a try.  I may be wrong about this, but my gut
feeling is that you would want to arrange things so that the longest
cable runs (with the most loss) would be terminated in their
characteristic impedance, to reduce increased loss due to SWR (though it
might not make much real-world difference).  So, assuming the antenna is
designed for 50 ohms, you'd use 50 ohm cable from the antenna to the
splitter.  The shorter runs from the splitter to the receivers wouldn't
be as critical.

Hope this helps.

John
----