[time-nuts] GPS Satellite Elevation Observation

James Maynard james.h.maynard at usa.net
Mon Apr 17 14:43:28 EDT 2006

Rob Kimberley wrote:
> Brooke,
>
> I don't know the TAC32. Is it a timing receiver? Does it work in a "time
> locked" mode whereby position is fixed after a position averaging mode, and
> then uses most of its processing power to provide timing, or is it a nav
> receiver that is continually calculating position, and also giving a 1PPS.
> If it is the latter, you will get much larger variations in the PPS
> accuracy.
>
> Rob

TAC32 is a PC program offered by Rich Hambly, who does business as CNS
Systems, Inc. <http://www.cnssys.com/>  It will control several
varieties of Motorola GPS receivers, especiallythe M12+T, using the
Motorola binary format. It can also interface to other GPS receivers
using a more limited NMEA-0183 message protocol. It accepts the 1
pulse-per-second output of the GPS receiver and can use it to set the
PC's clock.

TAC32 or its enhanced versions is also the PC program used to control
the "CNS Clock" and "CNS Clock 2" hardware from CNS Systems. These
gadgets have a variety of interesting options, such as acting as an NTP
time server or as a source of IRIG-B time code.  The most interesting
option to me is the "High Performance PPS" option, which provides a
better 1 PPS pulse train than the one available directly from the CNS
Clock 2's internal Motorola M12+T receiver.

--
James Maynard
Salem, Oregon, USA