[time-nuts] Loran - any good for timekeeping?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Apr 21 03:02:22 EDT 2006

In message: <robkimberley1$86.140.134.222$.!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAOYAZyOzV8ERq+LmT45ypI7CgAAAEAAAAHZ+5J10IM9Kj/tVlkBM7bkBAAAAAA==@btinternet.com>
            "Rob Kimberley" <time.bandit at btinternet.com> writes:
: Long time since I played with a LORAN-C timing receiver, but the Austron
: units were good to a microsecond. Interesting to know what the newer
: technology can manage.

I think three orders of magnitude better is the current state of the
art, at least in a lab setting.  Commercial units I've seen do about
one and a half orders of magnitude better.

I'm unsure how much of what I know about the performance that I've
seen in the development of loran timing system that my company
produced I can share.

Warner