[time-nuts] Loran - any good for timekeeping?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Apr 21 13:53:10 EDT 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
>>The US is keeping Loran-C going as a backup for GPS as well.

> How good is Loran for timekeeping?  How does it compare to WWVB?
>
> What sort of receiver do I need?  Any good how-to type web pages?
>
> I'm in Silicon Valley.  The NIST map says that WWVB should work here, but my
> quick try didn't get very far.  I was just using a small ferrite antenna and
> I didn't check the tuning.

Loran can do great frequency measurement -- almost as good as GPS.  But
for timing, it's not so hot.  The problem with current Loran is that it
doesn't carry a timecode, or mark the second epoch.  It's possible to
recover 1pps from Loran with a bit of work (the Austron 2100T receiver
can do this) but it's not a trivial task, and in any event you need
something else to disambiguate the seconds.

John