[time-nuts] Spectracom 8140T distribution amps

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Apr 22 13:54:47 EDT 2006

Tom Van Baak said the following on 04/22/2006 01:47 PM:

> Forget the spec, whatever it is. How about actually
> measuring what happens to the quality of the signal
> when you add the N+1st tap? Were these taps meant
> for precision work? And is that quartz precision (1e-9)
> or cesium precision (1e-12)?
>
> I wonder if the 1/Nth extra drain on the RF/12V coax
> will cause a slight phase shift for all existing taps on
> the line?
>
> Do you have a 5370B free for a quick phase test?

I've done a few quick tests and the performance seems to be quite good,
but I suspect they're not designed for lab work; I think Spectracom is
more used in broadcasting and similar applications.

I'll try to set up a test with the 5370B and see what differences I can
discern.  I may also get a chance to do a phase noise test with a 3048
system.

John