[time-nuts] Recommendations for NTP server

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 23 17:16:40 EDT 2006

You'll get more than you expect -- the offset you're observing on
ADSL is very likely wrong, because the delays your packets experience
on adsl aren't symmetric.  NTP assumes symmetry.  So I wouldn't
actually believe that a 1ms offset is really 1ms off, depending on
the RTT to your ISP.

But there actually are ways to mitigate the offset spikes.  You might
be able, for instance, to configure your gateway to prioritize NTP
packets over everything else, which will help with half of the
problem.  You won't be able to do the same at your ISP, of course, so
it's not a perfect solution.

Installing a local GPS-synched server is the right answer if you
really care.  And it's fun. :)  The Soekris boxes rock.  I assume
you've already seen Poul-Henning Kamp's page about using his net4801
with FreeBSD to act as a high precision timeserver?  If you want sub-
microsecond, you'll probably have to replace the oscillator on the 4801.

And - most OSes should do the trick.  FreeBSD has a really nice
precision timekeeping interface, though -- and it makes a marvelously
solid time server.  I'm running it on a few Net4801s and recommend
it.  You can very easily build an image for it using another bit of
phk's magic called 'nanobsd' (it's in the source tree).

   -Dave