[time-nuts] Dumb Cs beam question: mechanical shock sensitivity?

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Thu Aug 3 15:17:10 EDT 2006

Should I expect a healthy Cs beam standard to lose lock if the unit gets
a sharp (enough) mechanical shock?  I'm just asking about the general
nature -- obviously implementations will have differing mechanisms for
and degrees of isolation.

My FTS 4050 lost lock briefly once when I was dropped another piece of
gear I was loading above it in the same rack.  The two events were
directly correlated.  I wasn't terribly suprised, but wasn't sure if
that was "normal."

It lost lock briefly last night, again, but for unknown reasons.  We did
have a small'ish earthquake, so I'm told ....

-ch

p.s. Look out for some questions on how to deal with outliers and gaps
in datasets for stability analysis .... I'll pursue the literature
first; pointers to anything of particular merit would be welcomed
kindly.