[time-nuts] A Simple PIC Divider

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Aug 7 04:34:57 EDT 2006

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:40:44 -0700, "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at leapsecond.com>
wrote:

>> I don't think any of those chips has a serial port.  You would have to do
>> (heroic) bit-banging if you needed that.
>
>True, although simple, robust, and free code samples
>for this are all over the web. Or as Chuck mentioned,
>serial support is included in various PIC compilers.
>
>One caution, though. Most high-level languages are
>not compatible with the fixed instruction loop count
>code technique used in the pic divider.
>
>/tvb

CCS C supports inline assembler with #ASM and #ENDASM directives, so it
should be possible to define the critical stuff exactly. If you needed
serial com you could use the special C functions for that.

I missed why someone would want serial com with the divider function,
though. Is there a good reason?