[time-nuts] Frequency Dividers

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Wed Aug 9 11:52:58 EDT 2006

At 5:31 PM -0400 8/8/06, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
>Randy Warner said the following on 08/08/2006 03:23 PM:
>
>>  I have been seeing a lot of traffic concerning making 10MHz frequency
>>  dividers using PIC's. While they provide an elegant solution to
>>  providing an accurate 1PPS from a precision source, I have to ask if
>>  there is a reason for going this route? I am just using three HCT40103
>>  down counters hooked to a DS4000 to get what I think is a very stable
>>  1PPS. Am I missing something? I realize 40103's are as old as dirt (I
>>  guess I am showing my 4000 series CMOS days), but the HCT series have
>>  plenty of bandwidth.
>
>Hi Randy --
>
>I think the concern in using the older discrete devices is their
>potential for jitter in general, and temperature sensitivity on top of
>that.  But I've never done any experiments on just how big a problem
>those issues are.
>
>John

All this talk of frequency dividers brings up a point - there are
good ways and bad ways to divide 10 MHz down to 1PPS. The bad way is
to just string seven 7490 ripple counters together - the jitter
caused by 28 slow flip-flop stages in series is going to be rather
big.

Adding a resynchronizer to the 1PPS signal made from a fast flip-flop
(74FCT74) and clocked by 10 MHz is the way to go. Just make sure that
your divider chain doesn't cause enough delay that the resyncer's
input sees a transition near the clock's edge! To deal with that, add
resynchronizers whenever the propagation delay is approaching the
clock period.

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/