[time-nuts] Philips PLL

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Aug 9 13:44:43 EDT 2006

From: "Randy Warner" <Randy at synergy-gps.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Philips PLL
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:22:19 -0700

> Magnus,

Randy,

> I hope NO ONE is using a 4046 in any contemporary CD player designs!

I couln't agree more! :o)

For some applications, the 4046 is right on the money, but for quite alot of
applications you don't even want to be near it. At one time did an engineer try
to use a 4046 at the firm, just as a phase-detector. It didn't work very
well and in the end the 74HCT00 based phase-detector that I had originally
proposed was implemented and worked perfectly and well within specs.

The trick about doing cheap designs is knowing which corners one should cut and
which to not cut. The designed locked a 155,52 MHz clock to a 8 kHz reference
and that was in another staged stepped up 16 times to 2,48832 GHz to clock the
data, the SDH/SONET jitterspecs where met.

BTW, do you happend to have the old Oncore documents lying around? See my
querry for them not too long ago. I want as much hard facts on the GPS in my
Z3801A.

Cheers,
Magnus