[time-nuts] Time syncing question

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Aug 30 22:36:35 EDT 2006

From: "Daun Yeagley" <daun at yeagley.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Time syncing question
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:59:12 -0400

> CDMA phones have their clocks set by the system, as they require more precise
> synchronization of not only the data stream bit timing, but also the
> synchronization of the psuedo random key streams. These are used for syncing up
> the Walsh codes as well as security encryption key functions.

GSM phones is being timed to transmitt in advance of time, such that their
time-slot is perfectly matched in time when it arrives to the base-station.
This doesn't prohibit the Time-Of-Day to be way off, since that is a separate
service and not all operator have it enabled in their network. So, just because
you have high timing accuracy doesn't mean you get correct time of day.

Ah well.

We thank CDMA for the wealth of Z3801A on the second hand market!

Cheers,
Magnus