[time-nuts] Time Nuts at PTTI this past week

Tom Clark, K3IO K3IO at verizon.net
Sun Dec 10 02:03:13 EST 2006

In my posting last night, I inadvertently forgot to include one other
personage who falls under the "Time Nuts" umbrella.

The PTTI selected Dr Dave Mills (W3HCF) of the Univ of DE as the
recipient of the 2006 Distinguished Service Award (for previous
recipients, see page xii of
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2006/PTTI2006AdvPgm.pdf). As he
accepted the award, Dave told that his professional career in computer
science and his interest in timing grew from his amateur radio roots.

Dave is well known as the Father and Referee of the NTP and SNTP network
timing protocols. For info on NTP see Dave's web page at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/%7Emills/ntp/> and the official NTP page at
http://www.ntp.org/.

The PTTI meeting also remembered with great sadness Dr Len Cutler who
led HP (and then Agilent) into the time/frequency business by directing
the development of Cesium, Rubidium and Hydrogen clocks at HP Labs. A
bit of Len's history can be gleaned at
http://www.agilent.com/metrology/bio-cutler.shtml . Len passed away this
past September (see http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fcmain.asp?page=cutler) and
the community misses him.