[time-nuts] Surplus Guidelines, was: Rubidium Standard

Robert Deliën robert at delien.nl
Sun Dec 10 15:56:30 EST 2006

> > What is the blacken from, the rubidium itself?
>
> Yes, the rubidium enters the glass and that blackens it.

Isn't it deposited metal from the filament that blackens the glass?

> > Hmmm I wonder if a high power laser can liberate enough to make one
> > useable again? I have about 100000 shots left on a 6 megawatt laser.
>
> I doubt it.  It is not just evaporated on the inside it is actually absorbed into the glass.
>
> At least as I understand it.

I doubt it too, but if you're going to try it make sure the bulb it powered: If it's filament deposites, the metal vapor might deposit back on the hot filament, just as happens in halogen bulbs. And don't forget to post your results!