[time-nuts] LPRO-101 with Brooks Shera's GPS locking circuit

Jack Hudler jack at hudler.org
Wed Dec 13 19:59:51 EST 2006

If I'm totally missing something here please correct and enlighten me.

On the subject of Brooks Shera's design, the one thing that troubles me is the
use of a 24 MHz oscillator to count the width of the 1PPS signal.
This yields a precision of 4.16e-8, but does it really?
This oscillator is uncontrolled and any drift would exist as noise that would
have to be filtered (He uses a software low pass filter).

Question: Why not multiply the VCXO or OCXO output by 5 or 10 and run that into
24 or 32 bit counter? OR just sample the counter on every 10th PPS?

Thank,
Jack