[time-nuts] PTS 250

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Dec 15 08:50:20 EST 2006

I have pinouts of the BCD connector at
http://www.febo.com/hardware/PTS/index.html.

Note the big red warning sign -- the first 250 I had was in some way
goofy and that led me down an erroneous path for the pinout.  The pinout
described for the 160 is correct for all the units (at least the ones
below 500MHz).

Dunno about the OCXO; I don't think any of the units I have came with an
internal oscillator.

Note that there's an interesting variant of the 250 -- option "SX51"
which provides very low phase noise from 0.1 to 25 MHz; basically, it
adds a divide-by-ten on the output.  You select the low noise mode by
selecting (I think) the 0.8Hz line and dividing the rest of the
frequency you entered by 10.  So, entering 100.000 000 0 gives you
100MHz output; entering 100.000 000 8 gives you 10MHz output.  The
divided output is a square wave, so might require filtering depending on
the application.

Manuals are available from PTS, though they don't necessarily have a lot
of useful information.  PTS doesn't seem to be too interested in having
anyone but them work on the units, so there's not a lot of circuit-level
information.

Hope this helps.

John
----