[time-nuts] Failure mode in GPS receivers

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sun Dec 17 16:27:15 EST 2006

From: geo <geo at drbertges.de>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Failure mode in GPS receivers
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:10:02 +0000

> oh yes .....
>
> 1) Waterlevel in GPS antenna's "hermetic" too high ... the ice inside the
>    "hermetic" was melting down ( Hi Magnus ;-) )

Hehe... we actually had ice too in ours. :-)

I think the culprit was that the manufactures tag was sitting over the venting
plug. At least I think it was a venting plug. I have that tag sitting on my
monitor at work these days. Ah well.

> 2) Coaxial cable damaged, due to nice little pecking birds :-(

Oh, those lovely birds! :-)

The non-optimal placement we have for our antenna just happends to make it
fairly uninteresting for birds. There are better sit-and-enjoy-the-view spots
for the featherbolls to use. I've actually never seen one sit there.

Cheers,
Magnus