[time-nuts] Locking gunn diode

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Dec 18 13:20:16 EST 2006

Rick,

If you are talking about injection locking, that will probably not be
practical. The Gunn is not stable enough (not the Gunn itself, but the
cavity where it will be installed) to stay close enough to the right
harmonic to stay locked, and the high order difference between the gunn
and the injection signal makes it just about impossible. Even if you
could lock it, you probably would have 10 MHz spurs (I am just guessing).

Phase locking through a PLL system is possible of course, even though it
will be relatively complicated, unless you find one of these synthesizer
boards on eBay, designed for YIG oscillators, and modify it to drive a
varactor.

Didier KO4BB