[time-nuts] GPS orthodontics: sawteeth & hanging bridges

Randy Warner Randy at synergy-gps.com
Thu Dec 21 16:03:19 EST 2006

Paul is right about the temp sensitivity. I am surprised he managed to
keep the receiver balancing on one foot for seven minutes, but if you
try hard enough, I guess anything is possible.

I thought everyone on this thread might be interested in what is causing
the hanging bridge, so here goes.

All Oncore receivers (M12+, UT+, GT+, M12M) are basically run by an
internally generated 1KHz clock that is "normally" asynchronous to the
1PPS epochs. If you could compare this 1KHz to the 1PPS on a scope you
would see the 1KHz slowly walking in comparison to the 1PPS. Under
typical conditions these "time slips" occur about once every 15 seconds
or so. Every time you see a "hanging bridge" you know that a time slip
has occurred. Naturally, as temp is changed the 1KHZ will change
frequency, changing the time between each bridge, but it's usually in
the 10-20 second range.

I have seen several receivers returned over the years that the customer
returned because of the sawtooth not working. Naturally, when the
receiver is fired up in my lab it works perfectly....... After reading
PHK's post I'll bet even money that the 1KHz became synchronous in the
affected receiver for whatever reason.

Those of you who worked with the UT+ receiver may remember a problem
with the time slips in one version of firmware. Motorola updated the
firmware to do some minor housecleaning and accidentally messed up the
100PPS. The 100PPS worked normally until a time slip occurred at which
time the 100PPS pulse train was delayed by 1ms. It immediately corrected
itself on the next second, but having your 1PPS slip 1ms every 15
seconds or so was a real show-stopper. Luckily, few people use the
100PPS function, so it was not a critical problem. I sure got REAL TIRED
of reflashing those receivers however.....

Randy