[time-nuts] Weird HP 5334B problem

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Dec 23 09:52:20 EST 2006

My HP 5334B has been doing the following since I got it off eBay this
summer. It's not a major problem, but it is irritating and I would like
to fix it, but I don't know where to start...

At power up, when being fed two signals for TIC measurements, the
instrument passes self test without error but is stupid: the trigger
LEDs blink wildly without relation to the signals being fed, and the TIC
measurement is stable but wrong (for instance, it would display 99 uS
when fed two signals with 20 nS delay).

As soon as I press the "READ LEVEL" button, the trigger LEDs start
blinking in phase with the signal (assuming the trigger levels are set
right, of course), and if I then press the TI button, it all works as it
should. So I know now each time I power up the instrument, I press READ
LEVELS once before doing anything else, and from there on, the
instrument works as it should.

It seems as if the trigger level DACs are not being initialized properly
at power up, and pressing the READ LEVELS button fixes it.

I did the READ LEVELS tests in the service manual and it passes.

My counter is serial number 2804A01295, the service manual I have (from
the HP web site) applies to instruments with prefix 2937A, even though
it does list some changes that apply to early 2704A series.
Particularly, there were some changes to the reset circuit with the
early 2704A series, I do not know if these changes are in my instrument.

Does anyone knows the differences between the 2937A series and the 2804A
series? Anyone has a service manual for the 2804A series?

Thanks for any help.

Didier