[time-nuts] LUCENT RFTG-m-RB

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sun Dec 24 23:08:12 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 08:40:58PM -0600, Jack Hudler wrote:
> Unit says RFTG-m-XO   XO = xtal and RB = rubidium

	Probably, but not certainly, the units advertised can pair with
one of the Rb RFTG-M-RB units recently discussed to provide a
disciplined rubidium with OCXO backup.   Apparently most of what is
required is db-9 to db-9 cables and a couple of SMA to SMA connections.

	It appears from some net published photos of the interior of a
similar but possibly later unit (L109) that it is possible that either a
Rb or OCXO could be configured to be GPS disciplined as a single unit
rather than a pair.  It looks like this mostly involves adding a GPS
disciplining mezzanine board and the Moto GPS receiver card.

	I should say it appears the hardware can be configured like
this, not so clear as to whether the firmware supports such.

	I have ordered a couple of the RFTG-m-XO units to pair with the
RFTG-m-Rb I ordered thinking they included the GPS, and when I finally
get delivery of them I will try to put up a web page with hi res photos
of the inside.

	I am, of course, - as at least a couple of others here - quite
interested in documentation....

	I am also very much interested in the mechanism used to synthesize
the 15 MHz output.   The L109 photos look like perhaps a DDS chip is
being used for this, and if so I have a strong interest in hacking the
box to produce a precision 64 MHz clock for a gnuradio USRP board...
obviously even the capability to go to 16 MHz instead of 15 would be
very nice...

--
   Dave Emery N1PRE,  die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in