[time-nuts] TIC resolution impact on GPSDO's performance

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 26 05:35:28 EST 2006

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4590BB56.5070809 at xtra.co.nz>, Dr Bruce Griffiths writes:
>
>> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>

>>> I think what you are trying to express is that the frequency from
>>> the internal Xtal (at times) is in an overtone of the 1Hz PPS, which
>>> gives rise to hanging bridges.
>>>

>> Poul-Henning
>>
>> Surely you mean harmonic? An overtone is not necessarily a harmonic.
>>

> I meant overtone, becuase they are not in any harmonic relationship,
> the XO is wandering around whereas the (ideal) PPS is, supposedly,
> rock stable.

Poul-Henning

Perhaps you should explain what you mean by overtone as it is at odds
with both my understanding of the term as a vibrational mode of an
object (as in acoustics) higher than the fundamental or lowest frequency
vibrational mode and the definition given in Webster's dictionary (My
Oxford dictionary is buried somewhere) which insists that overtone is
synonomous with harmonic.

My understanding is that the phrase "an overtone of a 1Hz" has no real
meaning.

Bruce