[time-nuts] Lucent RFG-RB

Richard H McCorkle mccorkle at ptialaska.net
Thu Dec 28 15:41:26 EST 2006

I'm sure Lucent engineers spent quite a bit of effort designing that metal
box to keep the rubidium temperature as low as possible for extended life.
If the rubidium is used in a different enclosure pay special attention to
thermal
conditions as the life of the rubidium is reduced with increasing
temperature.
If it is warm to the touch while operating you are not getting the most
useful
life out of the unit. The LPRO manual shows this as the mean time before
failure versus operating temperature:

       Temp                MTBF
20°C     68°F    381,000    43.5 yrs
25°C     77°F    351,000    40.1 yrs
30°C     86°F    320,000    36.5 yrs
40°C    104°F   253,000    28.9 yrs
50°C    122°F   189,000    21.6 yrs
60°C    140°F   134,000    15.3 yrs

I ended up building by own controller and mounting it inside the Lucent box,
removed their front panel and mounted the box to my front panel to keep the
thermal design the same and take advantage of Lucent's thermal engineering.

Have fun!
Richard