[time-nuts] TIC resolution impact on GPSDO's performance

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Thu Dec 28 15:59:24 EST 2006

> Bjorn and I have a little project going where we use the CNC Allstar
receivers.
> They have the specific feature that their referens XO is at 10 MHz. This
will
> make it very easy to drop in a suitable oscillator. As it happends I see
that a
> FTS1200 and an Allstar receiver has showed up in my main rack during some
> unexplainable appearance in the lab yeasterday. It is not as much the
ability
> too hook it up as getting the receiver time to EFC solution into place.
I'm
> working on that right now, but it will involve a little bit of wizardy.
> The Allstar receivers have about 1 cm RMS of carrier noise which should
show up
> as about 33 ps RMS noise. It should be an interesting proof of concept
thing.

I have some SuperStar II receivers and they also have a 10 MHz TCXO on them,
now Novatel makes them.

http://www.novatel.com/products/superstar.htm

If you search for the phrase "OEM GPS MODULE WITH SMA ANTENNA CABLE" on eBay
you should be able to find them when the person lists more (none currently
show up). They appear to be OEM models with on a 4mb flash and not the newer
8mb flash so they can't be upgraded. I have lots of PDFs with info and
everything. The pinout is more or less the same as the Rockwell Jupiter 8
boards. There is also an open-source GPS project that uses the chip on
these, however the project in its current state is less than stellar.

I bought 5 boards (was cheaper because of shipping costs). If you want one
or two let me know, I'll sell them cheap. I only want to keep a couple for
myself, definitely don't need 5.

Jason