[time-nuts] FMT

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Dec 29 15:34:31 EST 2006

John Miles said the following on 12/29/2006 03:24 PM:

> Does the 3586C have an AGC-controlled IF output?  A BFO synthesizer would be
> a good idea, but it might not be necessary if you can filter and measure the
> IF directly.

It has an IF output as well as a built in counter with 0.1 Hz
resolution.  However, there is no AGC as such.  You can put it into a
100dB dynamic range mode, which reduces sensitivity, or in an
autoranging mode where the gain is stepped in 10dB increments.  Or you
can turn the ranging off and manually set the gain.  The autoranging
results in transients that are annoying in a waterfall, so I usually set
the range manually and live with a bit of distortion if it overloads
from time to time.

John