[time-nuts] HP 5345A

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Dec 29 18:51:03 EST 2006

There is probably nothing wrong with it.  Two things to check: first, the
lock range is super-narrow.  Make sure that the 10811s are very close to
each other using the manual trimmer(s).  For the same reason, both OCXOs
will need to warm up for a few minutes.

Second, the 5345A needs an unusually-strong signal at the external reference
jack, about +6 dBm or better if you're driving it from a 50-ohm source.  The
input load is actually in the 1K neighborhood, not 50 ohms.

I've added a MAV-11 MMIC at the external-input jack on the A8 assembly on
both of the 5345As I've owned.  None of my gear has had problems running
from a CATV splitter on the Thunderbolt, except the 5345A.

-- john, KE5FX