No subject

Wed Dec 27 09:21:15 EST 2006

they got bought by Symmetricom, the GPS were always Trimble, and used the
TSIP protocol. Never sold one with a Rb though, although we did get one
upgraded. I'm pretty that it was more than just adding the Rb and a PSU.

Rob K

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of Jensen, Britt
Sent: 03 January 2007 00:05
To: Christopher Hoover; time-nuts at febo.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Tymserver 2100 - Adding a LPRO Rb RE:
time-nutsDigest, Vol 30, Issue 6

Christopher,

I called Symmetricom about this too, and got a little further- the tech
support guy told me he thought it was a Trimble ACE module.

I found an ACE-ii module in a surplus cellular survey receiver. When I first
put the module in and started up the 2100, I'd navigate down the menu to GPS
Health and it would always report 'GPS Engine Busy'. I knew the module was
fine, because the survey receiver worked; it had a serial output that kicked
NMEA strings out. I found a ACE-iii technical manual on Trimble's website
and it of course described the 3 different protocol's that the ACE could be
configured for (NMEA, TSIP and TAIP). I figured it was a protocol issue and
I chose TSIP to try because it had a command to set the clock to
over-determined mode(OD). This has been some time ago (over a year I think),
but I'm pretty sure that's the protocol that worked for me. I simply built a
232 driver and used the Trimble utility to change my module from NMEA to
TSIP (or maybe HyperTerm, don't quite recall, as I used all the utilities
from Trimble and HyperTerm to flip modes). Anyway, go find a ACE module and
set it to TSIP and I bet you'll be fine. My '2100-I' model has been up and
working fine for the last year.

Don't forget you need a pigtail for the antenna- The provided hole on the
back panel is for a SMA connector.

I have recently bought a 2100-GPS model that doesn't work, but it did in
fact have a ACE-ii in it. Also a StarTime display I bought had one in it
too. I can take pictures of both this weekend if you like. I'll be
dis-assembling the defective 2100-GPS unit to determine more about the unit
relative to adding the Rb oscillator.

Anyone like to host the images for me?

Regards,
Britt