[time-nuts] Jupiter GPS receiver

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Thu Jan 5 11:47:15 EST 2006

From: Brian Kirby <kirbybq at bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Jupiter GPS receiver
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:59:13 -0600

> I looked in my data and their spec sheet shows +/- 1 microsecond.  But,
> I beleive this was much better than that.  I cannot find it, but I
> beleive I seen a report where somebody compared the Jupiter and it was
> in the 120 to 150 nanosecond class.

+/- 1 microsecond is the old worstcase garantee for the GPS system. It is was
you can expect from a GPS with lack of satellites, SA and old style satellites
going out of date in their predicted orbits data.

These days we have better satellites, full system and no SA. Add to that much
improved receivers (no more 1 channel receivers as in the good old days).

Cheers,
Magnus