[time-nuts] Latitude and longitude question

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Jul 9 22:41:44 EDT 2006

Generally, surveys are based on three things: known markers, angular measurements,
and distances between survey points.  The angular measurements are based on the
compass north, and take into account the declination error in effect for the
day the survey was made.  They are listed in the format: [North,South] DDD MM' SS.S" [East,West]
The distance measurements are usually made in either decimal feet, or rods and chains.
Rods and chains are an ancient form of measure.  A chain is made up of links called
rods... the surveyor stretches the chain, and holds it level between two points on
the line he wishes to measure.  He counts the number of chains and rods used to cover
the distance.

A surveyor takes monuments as being of the highest value (stone found, pipe found,
...) angles as the next most trusted, and distances as the least trusted.  The
value of the measurement is based on a surveyor's ability to measure.

-Chuck Harris