[time-nuts] Interesting Patent

Stan Searing stans at sycard.com
Thu Jul 13 14:04:35 EDT 2006

Hi Dave and the rest of the group,

  My worst hobby is collecting old HP counters (the collection takes
up a lot of space).  Most are Nixie, some vertical bar and a couple
have meters for the bottom two digits, while a few are new enough
to have LEDs or VFDs.
If you are still interested in pictures, one of these years
I will get around to restoring some of these counters and
taking pictures.  If you want a couple pictures sooner, let me know.
I have a few non-HP counters (Beckman, etc.) but didn't dig
them out.  Here is the HP list (listed in the order I found
them around the house and at work):
qty  model
6  5245L
1  5245L specif H96
4  5245M
1  5246L
1  5280A Reversible Counter
3  5360A Computing Counter
1  5332B
2  5316A
2  5232A
1  5275A Time Interval Counter
2  5330B
1  5223L
1  5326B
1  5326A
1  5326C
2  5321A
1  5323A
1  5325B
2  5532A (odd that these start with "55")
2  5233L
1  5212A
1  523DR
1  523D
1  Specif 94427 (like a 4 digit 523D)
1  FR-38 D/U (like a 524B)
1  521C
1  524B
1  5345A
2  5328A
1  53131A
2  5315B
1  5315A
1  53?? (yeah, I forgot to write down all of the number of this one :-(

These are mostly collected one at a time over the last ten years or so.
I have a goodly stack of manuals for the HP counters, but don't have
them for all the models included above.  Some of the manuals have a
black and white picture.  I am still adding to the
collection, but for the most part the counters are not worth shipping
(but the manuals are).
So if anyone has any old HP counters in the San Jose area they do
not want, please let me know.  If you have other HP counter related
trivia, stories, pictures, etc, I may eventually get around to creating
a web site for these.

Of course you can't just collect counters, so I also have a handful of
standards, clocks and DVM's from the good old days.

Cheers,
Stan